Blog Post 3

 What comes to your head when you think of the Black Lives Matter protest? To me, I think of a mix of peaceful protest followed by riots and looters. It is no secret that the death of George Floyd was a tragedy, and you won't find many people who disagree. I saw the protest rise in the days following the death of Floyd in my own city of Cary, North Carolina. I was driving home from work one night when I got a quick glimpse of one. But are these protests protected by the first amendment? Truly are they? In some cases, yes they are. You have the right in the F.A. to peacefully assemble, and I have seen protests like these, as well as videos of other peaceful protests around the world. What does the First Amendment condone? According to the Constitution, Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

When you look at the Black Lives Matter protest, and you see these events unfold, what do you think? I think that some of these protest are justified and protected by the First Amendment. So when I found this article of a SUV driver driving over a BLM protestor, I also tried thinking about what the F.A. does not condone. The F.A. does not condone threats of violence, and while it may be shown in the video that the driver of the SUV just drove over the protestor, part of me wonders what the reasoning may have been for his actions. Now, I am not saying his actions are justified, nor would I have done the same, this is definitely a hit and run, which is extremely illegal, but I wonder if he may have been provoked to do such a thing. It is no secret that it takes time to develop the FULL story of what happens with things like this. Are these protest protected under the first amendment? Like I said yes and no based on the fact that yes the peacefully assembled protest which are the ones that not everyone truly see on the TV's or the media, those are justified because those protests are not inciting violence, nor are they setting fires, assaulting officers/ innocent civilians. The ones that eventually lead to outbreaks in violence, those are not protected under the first amendment because the ANTIFA filled protests are inciting violence against cops and people, which is not protected under the FA.

https://www.wjhl.com/news/local/black-lives-matter-movement-activists-protest-sunday-night-following-hit-and-run-accident-saturday/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 6- EOTO(1)

Blog Post 4

Blog Post 5- 8 freedoms of expression